Doha, (04 09 2020) – Education Above All Foundation (EAA) will mark the first International Day to Protect Education from Attack on 9th September with a high-level virtual event.
Key figures from politics, sports and global advocacy will speak on the importance of the protection of the right to quality education for all, especially in times of conflict and insecurity, in an effort to raise awareness and end the impunity for education-related violations of international law.
The International Day to Protect Education from Attack was established earlier this year by UN General Assembly Resolution A/74/275, an effort driven by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Education Above All (EAA) Foundation and UN Sustainable Development Goals Advocate, on behalf of the State of Qatar. The Resolution was co-sponsored by 62 countries.
Join the 9th September virtual event via this link: https://youtu.be/k4R28rRCr3w
WHAT: High-level virtual event for inaugural International Day to Protect Education from Attack
WHEN: On 9th September 2020 from 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM (ET)
WHERE: YouTube (link above)
WHO: Education Above All Foundation (EAA) in partnership with UNICEF, UNESCO, Qatar Fund for Development and Save Our Future Now campaign
LIST OF SPEAKERS*:
- Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Education Above All;
- António Guterres, UN Secretary-General;
- HE Prof Tijjani Muhammad Bande, President of the 74th Session of the General Assembly;
- HE Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs;
- HE Philippe Goffin, Belgian Minister of Foreign Affairs and of Defence;
- Peter Maurer, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross;
- David Beckham; UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and Founder of the 7 Fund for UNICEF;
- Henrietta H. Fore, Executive Director UNICEF;
- Stefania Giannini, Assistant Director-General UNESCO;
- Virginia Gamba, Special Representative for the Secretary General for Children and Armed Conflict;
- Hassan Al Thawadi, Secretary-General of the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy;
- Howard Taylor, Executive Director of End Violence Partnership;
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, President of Association for Indigenous Women and Peoples of Chad;
- Diya Nijhowne, Executive-Director of Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack;
- Muzoon Almellehan, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
*List of speakers is tentative & subject to change
Education Above All (EAA) Foundation
The Education Above All (EAA) Foundation is a global education foundation established in 2012 by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. EAA envisions bringing hope and real opportunity to the lives of impoverished and marginalised children, youth and women, especially in the developing world and in dire circumstances such as conflict situations and natural disasters. We believe that education is the single most effective means of reducing poverty, generating economic growth and creating peaceful and just societies, as well as a fundamental right for all children and an essential condition to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). For more information, visit educationaboveall.org.
EAA is comprised of four programmes: Educate A Child (EAC), Al Fakhoora, Reach Out To Asia (ROTA), and Protect Education in Insecurity and Conflict (PEIC). In addition to providing access to education for children around the world, EAA advocates to safeguard inclusive and quality education for all.